Description: Video Calling is a simple app that aims to be just that, nice and simple. While there’s clearly no shortage of video calling apps on Android, this one aims to be as simple as possible. All Video Calling needs is to log into your Facebook account, which is does so asking for no more than your friends list, and then you’ll be able to video call your Facebook friends using this app or apps that are compatible with this one. While the Facebook thing seems like a limitation, it does make sense as pretty much everyone has a Facebook account these days. So, is it any good?
How it Works: To get started, you’ll first need to download Video Calling from the Play Store. Once done, you’ll need to log in using your Facebook account.
Once you’ve logged in to your Facebook account – which is really easy if you already have Facebook installed – you can start to call your Facebook friends.
I’m going to give my buddy Simon here a call as I asked him to install the app as well, you can easily invite friends to do so as well.
After calling my friend Simon it was nice and easy to talk to him over video, but the quality could be better. The call quality isn’t the best here, but this is done to make sure everyone can use the app smoothly.
Opinion: There’s no denying that Video Calling actually works, as I’ve used it myself and while I wish the quality was better, there’s nothing quite as simple out there as this. I might not use Facebook all that much, but every friend I know in real life also has a Facebook account, which makes this a pretty straightforward way of getting them into a video call. I’d prefer to use Hangouts, but my close friends won’t touch Google+ so that leaves me at a loss. Skype is polarizing as well, so this leads me to this. It’s pretty easy to say “Oh, all you need to do is log in with Facebook” rather than try and persuade them to download and sign up to another service.
- Speed (4/5) – Video Calling runs well, but it would be nice to see an improvement in call quality, but it’s not too bad at all.
- Features (4/5) – It might be lacking in features such as add-ons and funny themes and such, but it works and it requires very little set up.
- Theme (4/5) – Quality depends on your device and your connection, but things look okay here.
- Overall (4/5) – No need to spend time with persuading your friends to get yet another service, just log in with Facebook and you’re good to go. One of simplest solutions out there.
- Just click someone’s name and that’s it, just wait for it connect.
- No need for yet another account with yet another service, just use your Facebook account.
- Works over mobile data (although you could get charged for this) which is a nice bonus.
- Great for those users that might not be all that tech savvy or those a little older.
- Overall call quality needs some work, but the creators are working hard to keep things running smoothly.
- Extra features like hats, add-ons and that sort of thing would be nice to see.
Conclusion: While basic, and a rough start as an app, Video Calling has some good potential to become one of the easiest to use video calling apps out there. It’s so easy to just ask your friend to download this and log in with their Facebook account. Finally, there’s an app that you can spend less time persuading your friends to use and sign up to and more time actually talking to each other, face-to-face.