Description: Hangtime is an app for Android that aims to make it a whole lot easier for users to find fun things to do that interest them. It’s not about promoting other brands or anything like that, in fact the emphasis is on using your own Facebook friends and their upcoming events. However, to make sure there’s always something for you to do nearby, if you have boring Facebook friends for instance, it brings in events from Eventbrite, Ticketmaster, StubHub, among others to make sure that there’s always something that interests you. Speaking of your interests, the main focus of the app is to make sure that users will only get updates to what they like, as oppose to being advertised to.
How it Works: All you need to do is download Hangtime from the Play Store and then, you’ll be asked to choose some of your interests.
It’s not all Music though, there’s Food and Sport as well as Cultural things like the Theater.
After you’ve chosen your interests, you’ll be asked to login with your Facebook account, which is where the app really comes into its own.
Once you’ve got everything setup, you’ll see links to events going on that you might find interesting, as well as events from your Facebook account’s calendar.
Opinion: While Hangtime does appeal more to the music lover in me, the integration into Facebook is even better. Sure, Facebook doesn’t have the same sort of appeal that it used to but, there’s a good chance that a few of your friends have the same interest and are pretty good at keeping events organized. If that’s the case for you then all you need is Hangtime to make sense of your friends’ events and upcoming shows. It’s also great for those that like to try new things but, aren’t quite sure what’s going on near them, you can simply take a look at what’s going on using Hangtime and get out there and try something new.
- Speed (4/5) – The app runs great and bringing info down from Facebook is painless.
- Features (4/5) – For those looking for something to do near them, or those who want to take the Facebook out of event planning, Hangtime is a pretty great app.
- Theme (4/5) – Hangtime isn’t a stunning app but, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with the way it looks and it’ll blend in with most smartphones very well, indeed.
- Overall (4/5) – A solid offering for those looking to get out there and do something new, Hangtime is a great Android app and if you don’t want to stay home again this is the app for you.
- Allows you to cater the events you get updates on from a wide-range of categories.
- Easy user interface puts the pertinent information front and center, making Hangtime quick and simple.
- Hangtime is a better alternative to using Facebook to find out what’s going on with you and your friends than the Facebook app itself.
- Thanks to Hangtime, you might not ever have to deal with a pesky e-mail from Facebook about upcoming events ever again.
- Those without Facebook, or with lazy Facebook friends might not get the best out of the app but, this could change in future releases.
- Push notifications would be a great addition.
Conclusion: Hangtime is an app that social butterflies should install in a heartbeat, it’s simple to use and events and shows are tailored to your liking. There’s no real learning curve when it comes to using the app itself, it’s all very straightforward, with little getting in the way of the overall experience. While push notifications would be nice, it’s quick enough to get updates on events as it is. As for the ability to tie-in to your Facebook account, Hangtime all but replaces Facebook as a tool to track fun things going on near you. The only time you should need to use Facebook from now on is to create a new event yourself. Hangtime is a must-have app for those looking to try something new as well as for those that only have a home as a place to sleep.