Featured Game Review: Burn Out Drag Race
It doesn’t matter how old you are, speed is always fun and whether or not it’s a straight drag or a sprint to the finish along windy roads, racing games are fun. Something that has always been unique to racing games is that while graphical prowess helps, some of the best racing games ever made have been 2D affairs from the golden days of gaming. Can Burn Out Drag Race give you that same rush? Read on to find out.
Description: Burn Out Drag Race is – as the title suggests – a game for Android that puts you in control of a dragster and you’ve got to work your way up through the ranks to earn more and more money. The more money you earn, the more cars you’ll be able to buy and the more money you have to play with, the better you can tune your cars. A game like this is all about speed, right? Well, the further along you get through the game, you’ll be able to perform passes in under 4-seconds. Now that’s speed.
How it Works: Before you can hit the black top as fast as you can, you’ll need to download the game from the Play Store. Once you’ve done that, you’ll be asked to pick a driver to race as.
Once you’ve done that, you’ll be given a few choices in the main menu of the game:
A new feature of the game is the practice mode, which I found really quite useful, you can get used to the controls before you hit the circuit:
Of course, the real attraction is hitting the circuit to try your hand at competing against the computer and all the other drivers. This is the main way in which you earn more money. More money means better cars or more tweaks and tuning.
They start off small but, the higher up the ladder you climb, the bigger the payout becomes. Racing against the drivers is thrilling, especially when you have such a short amount of time to show your stuff.
At first, you might find yourself losing and posting sub-par speeds but, there is a little finesses needed to get that dragster performing properly.
The more money you win through these events, the better you’ll be able to tweak your car:
When you start earning big bucks, you can buy yourself a new car or, you can always add cash through an in-app purchase as well.
Opinion: Drag Racing has always intrigued me. It’s pure speed but, there’s also a lot of skill that’s needed to go along with it. It’s not enough to just hit the gas and hope for the best, you need to perfect the art of adjusting the clutch along with your speed. Putting the pedal to the metal is a lot of fun but, if you don’t know what you’re doing, you’re more than likely just going to end up damaging your dragster. The great thing is that you can always tweak and adjust your car, as well as buy completely different ones.
- Speed (4/5) – It’s a drag racing game so, as you’d expect the action is high-octane and fast paced.
- Features (4/5) – A lot of the time, you’ll be going down a straight road trying to go as fast as you can but, the ability to tweak your cars and buy new ones makes the game feel more “full”.
- Theme (3.5/5) – Graphically, the game isn’t going to win any awards but, it’s definitely got a certain charm to it and if you remember playing on the Genesis or Super Nintendo – you’re going to love this.
- Overall (4/5) – While the game is easy to get to grips with, it’s difficult to master, which delivers a satisfying challenge.
- Difficult to master, but easy enough to pick up and play makes this an easy game for those of all ages.
- Who doesn’t like a drag race?!
- You can tweak and tune your dragster as you see fit.
- Winning money is one thing but, there’s a nice sense of accomplishment when you see your race times get shorter and shorter.
- Graphically, there are better racing titles out there.
- It can be quite difficult at first.
Conclusion: There are a lot of racing titles out there but, Burn Out Drag Race is great for those both young and old. Everybody likes speed, even if they say they don’t, there’s a part of the human brain that likes going faster than we thought possible. Burn Out Drag Race is a game that might remind many of you of Genesis or Super Nintendo games of the past, which is great and it also leaves little ones more room to focus on the racing, rather than getting swept up in the graphics. If you’re a fan of racing games, then this is one of the best titles out there, even if it might take some time to get used to. The developers are always adding new features, and one of them is going to be the ability to race against your friends online, which would make this one of the few drag racing games to offer such a thing.