Sponsored App Review: TypeSmart
There are a ton of decent keyboard replacements out there for Android, and the fact that we can choose our keyboards at all shows how flexible Android is as a platform. The problem is though, all of these keyboards want us to type in a certain way. Sure, SwiftKey has some brilliant word prediction and some decent themes to choose from but, we still have to type how SwiftKey want us to. Some of us just want a keyboard that we can customize however the well we want, and to make sure that the keyboard fits us, and not the other way round.
Description: TypeSmart hopes to do away with all off the frustration that can be experience when using smartphone keyboards. By offering 20 themes, a smart and intuitive word prediction system and full customizability, TypeSmart packs in a whole bunch of features into just one keyboard. You can adjust the size and height of the keyboard by increments, to make sure it’s just how you want and modders will love the available themes that will match pretty much any theme you have on your device.
How it Works: To start typing with TypeSmart, you’ll have to head on over to the Play Store and download the app. By downloading the free version of TypeSmart, you get a 30-day free-trial. Once the app is installed, go ahead and launch it from the app drawer and then start setting the app up:
TypeSmart will take you through all of the steps you need to take to get the keyboard all set-up:
Once you’ve done all the necessary steps, you can tweak your keyboard to however you like:
Through the settings you can take a look at the themes on offer:
From cool themes that stand out to something that’s more in keeping with your device, there’s a theme on offer for everyone:
Theming the keyboard goes beyond just picking from a list, you can even apply your own photo wallpaper as well:
As well the themes, you can also change the height of the keyboard and more:
When typing, TypeSmart works well and is a speedy keyboard to work with, there are also a good amount of suggestions on offer at any one given time:
The word prediction goes even further though, with ability to predict common phrases, such “I don’t know”, “I didn’t know” etc. Take a look at the example below:
The great thing here is that no two peoples’ keyboards will look the same or type the same, and that’s the real interesting thing about TypeSmart, is that you can set-up a keyboard that is truly your own!
Opinion: If I am honest, I am SwiftKey lover at heart but, I could see myself switching to TypeSmart, there’s even more control on offer here and while the word prediction is not quite as precise, it’s perfectly good enough. It’s also better than the stock Android keyboard that most people replace in a heartbeat. When it comes down to make sure your smartphone is just as you want it, the keyboard is a big part of that and the vast array of themes and tweakable options from TypeSmart make it easy to take control of your device.
- Speed (4/5) – TypeSmart works well, there is no lag when typing and predictions appear as quick as you want them to.
- Features (5/5) – While the word prediction might not be quite as good as SwiftKey’s the vast amount of themes and options to change the keyboard height etc are all excellent.
- Theme (4/5) – Sometimes the themes on offer might look a little strange but, there are so many on offer here you will be able to find one you like.
- Overall (4.5/5) – If you’re looking for a new keyboard to try out on your Android device, this might be one of the better options in the Play Store right now. It’s not perfect but, the amount of customizability and predictions on offer are a real help.
- Enough themes on offer to make the keyboard suit everyone.
- Word prediction here is good and works really well most of the time.
- Set-up is relatively straightforward and the settings are easy to get to grips with.
- Tweaks galore make it extremely easy to make this keyboard match not only your typing style but your phone’s style overall.
- Word prediction still can’t match up to SwiftKey
- Some themes don’t look too great on HD displays.
Conclusion: TypeSmart might not be the keyboard to replace SwiftKey for most of you but, if you’re looking for a way to take much more control over your keyboard then this is definitely the right choice. Whether it’s themes or how the keyboard feels, TypeSmart lets you do it all, it’s fast as well, there was no lag when I was testing the app and I type like a crazed maniac. It’s not everyday you come across an app like this, that gives you so much control to model it how you want, you can make the keyboard whatever size you want for instance. Definitely an app easily recommend to others, especially if you’re frustrated with your phone’s stock keyboard.
Category: Android App & Game Reviews