Featured App Review: Seat Alerts
Flying can be a stressful experience for most of us. Although it’s never been easier to stretch out far and wide across the globe, it can still bring with it stress and hassle. First of all, you’ve got to get through the Airport, which means dealing with a myriad of other passengers, security, and then, of course, the waiting. Finally you’re on the plane and you realize the seat you have is not a great one or, the plane was full when you booked and had no choice but to take what was left. “Seat Alerts” from ExpertFlyer is an app can help change the hassle of sitting in a poor location.
Description: It’s one of those awkward situations where you need to get on that flight but there’s only one seat left, and it’s not a seat you want to sit in. Regardless of how you feel about flying, sitting by a window or on an aisle can make for a more relaxing journey. Some of us like to be able to go to the bathroom easily (aisle) and some of us just want to sleep (window). With Seat Alerts, you can set up Alerts and be notified when a seat you want becomes available and change your seating assignment through the airline’s website. Seat Alerts by ExpertFlyer offers travelers the following:
- A free account allows you to set up one Seat Alert at a time using the Any Seat, Any Window or Any Aisle options.
- Seat maps include SeatGuru seat ratings so you know which seat is the right seat for you. Just click on a seat to see its rating and review.
- If you need multiple Seat Alerts at once, additional alerts and alert options are available for and additional $0.99.
- Supports over 140 airlines that have pre-assigned seating.
How it Works: First of all, head on over to the Play Store to download the free Seat Alerts app. Once installed you can create an account at ExpertFlyer.
Once you’ve created an account – or logged in – you’ll be greeted with the main menu of the app:
To create a new alert you will need to provide Seat Alerts with some basic information such as airline, flight number, and date of travel.
Seat Alerts – as you’d expect from ExpertFlyer – has an exhaustive list of Airports and Destinations, but the app will auto-complete entries to save you time. As always, it’s important to make sure you get the right departure date.
Once your flight has been found – and you’ve picked your cabin type – you’ll see the seat map:
To select what type of seat you prefer, simply check the box next to the type of seat you want.
Once you’ve chosen your preferred seating, you can then name – and save – your alert.
Once a seat becomes available, you’ll become notified by e-mail or text. It’s a great way to make sure you get the seat you want and if you’re traveling with others it makes finding seats together painless and less frustrating. It will also help you avoid the dreaded middle seat where you’re cramped between two — sometimes larger-than-life — people.
Opinion: I’m not much of a frequent flyer by any means but when I do fly I always prefer to sit by the window. Call me a big kid but I love to see the clouds go by and overall, it’s far more relaxing for me. And since I enjoy a little shut-eye, being against the window means I won’t be disturbed if my neighbor has to go to the bathroom. The app works well and while there are too many prompts for my liking, it’s definitely something frequent flyers will come to love.
- Speed (4/5) – Seat Alerts is a fast app and thanks to auto-complete for Airports and Airlines, finding your flight is nice and easy.
- Features (4/5) - You could say that Seat Alerts only has one goal; to get you out of an undesirable seat and into your preferred seat. Anyone who has been stuck in the middle seat during a 5-hour flight knows how long those flights can be.
- Theme (4/5) - There are many prompts in Seat Alerts, and it looks like an App built for Android 2.3 but, it works well and it’s easy enough to use.
- Overall (4/5) - If you’re looking to secure a better seat on your flight, then Seat Alerts is the best way to do it. It’s quick and easy.
- Airlines and airports are filled in and found by the app all over the world to speed things up.
- Seats Alert will e-mail you or send a text when a seat you desire becomes available.
- UI is easy to use for those that might not be too “app-savvy”
- Those staring a long flight in the face will love being able to get a window or aisle seat when one becomes available. It definitely gives you an advantage over others trying to do the same thing.
- There are a lot of user prompts to deal with.
- You need to have all your info with you to set up a seat alert, this is not an app for those looking to grab a quick flight with a preferred seat.
Conclusion: For those flights are that long, finding a decent seat is crucial but, when you book your flight there’s no guarantees that there is going to be a window or aisle seat. Most of us like to travel in comfort and whether that be looking out of the window to calm down or being able to quickly get to the bathroom, Seat Alerts will let you know when your desired seats become available. It’s a great way to make sure you make the best of your flight and if you’re looking to hide away and get some shut eye on the red eye, then Seat Alerts might quickly become your new “go to app”.
Category: Android App & Game Reviews