Featured Game review: Signs
As mature as the Play Store has become for games these days, there’s always the problem of too many 3D action games and not enough games that take advantage of touchscreens. Also, games these days tend to be chasing the console design for games, where have all the puzzle games gone? Well, they’re still here and one of them is the new game Signs, which hopes to bring a simple, yet fun and satisfying puzzle game experience to Android. Read on to see if it succeeds in doing that.
Description: Signs is a game that’s based around the principle of matching more than one of the same color. Of course, this sounds a little basic, right? Well, add in a whole bunch of funny sounds, a funky soundtrack and some challenging gameplay and you have a game that not only looks and feels great but also plays extremely well. From the moment you open the game up, you can tell that Signs is a game that’s designed for you to have a lot of fun with.
How it Works: To get started with Signs, you’ll have to download the game from the Play Store, after that you’ll get to see how much fun the graphics are of this game:
The best way to play Signs is to just head on in and start playing!
Above is the main game screen. You’ll notice that there are lots of eye looking at you, it’s these you have to match together in groups of 2 or more. They need to be adjacent to each other for them to match. It’s straightforward and simple to play, with a whole lot of fun involved. As you’ll see you get varying amounts of points depending on how many eyes you match together.
After you finish a level, you’ll be given a re-cap of how many stars you’ve gotten from the past level. the more stars you get, the more you’ll be able to buy in the store:
If “Easy” is not enough of a challenge for you, then take a look at the “Normal” mode, which raises the difficulty a lot more than you might think. It’s this that will present you with more of a challenge:
It might not look any more difficult but, there are more colors added to the game and large groupings are harder to come by. Rolling the board (by hitting the button on the right) doesn’t help too much either in this mode, you’ve really got to look hard to see the groupings, it’s a lot of fun and it’s this challenging aspect that makes Signs an instant classic.
Opinion: As a big PC Gamer, I don’t normally like touchscreen games but here, with Signs, the touchscreen is treated as a first-class citizen and the gameplay is fresh, and addictive. It might also seem like a very easy game as well but, don’t be fooled – it isn’t. I started the game on Easy and then thought I could easily handle Normal but, the game added a lot more colors to the board and reduced the number of groupings. This alone made a huge difference and the game got a lot harder right away.
- Speed (4/5) – Those looking for a fast-paced game might want to look elsewhere but, the speed at which Signs runs is perfect for a puzzle game and provides just the right amount of challenge.
- Features (4/5) – It’s a simple premise, to match more than one color together but, with colors being so close to each other’s shades and the groupings getting smaller with higher difficulties, there’s enough of a challenge to keep you coming back.
- Theme (5/5) – Signs is a great-looking game, not just because of the fun graphics but, the funny sound effects and funky music that will instantly put a smile on your face.
- Overall (4/5) – There’s only one word to describe Signs, and it deserves heavy emphasis: fun.
- Graphically, the game is pleasing right from the main menu.
- Fun sound effects and cool music will put a smile on your face.
- Challenging gameplay will make sure you enjoy every moment of the game.
- Taking a simple premise and making it a little more complex and challenging is hard to do and Signs get it right.
- Difficulty change from “Easy” to “Normal” might be too steep for some players.
- Funny sound effects might not be to everyone’s taste.
Conclusion: I’ve had a lot of playing Signs and it’s definitely a game I can see myself playing on a regular basis. Sometimes, it’s nice to get away from all of the violent and high-octane games that have flooded the Play Store and get back to something that’s just fun. There’s no denying that Signs might not be a game for everyone but, most people will find it difficult to find something to complain about when faced with those fun graphics and funky sound effects.
Category: Android App & Game Reviews