As smartphones have taken off, we’ve become more and more obsessed with what the weather is doing. Discussing just what the skies above are up to has been human nature for centuries and now, it’s a must for those of us with smartphones. Android has an advantage of other smartphone OSes in that the Live Wallpaper feature can be used to create more interesting homescreens and even relay data back to the user. WeatherLand is an application that uses this to bring us a stunning wallpaper that also brings us up-to-date weather stats as well. Read on to find out more.
Black Friday 2017 Deals: Find Great Deals on Android Smartphones, TV’s, Smart Speakers, Chromebooks and More.
Description: WeatherLand is a Live Wallpaper that aims to do two things: keep you up to date with live weather forecasts and deliver a good-looking Live Wallpaper that represents the current weather where you are. Thanks to the 70,000 meteorlogical stations at their disposal worldwide, the team is able to deliver an application that is incredibly accurate, no matter where you are. You get a certain amount of live forecasts – each covering a 3-hour window – depending on which version of the app you get, 8 per week for the free version and more than 56 a week for the Pro version. With the wallpaper on your homescreen you get quick access to 4 forecasts for the next 12 hours, as well as the ability to get more!
How it Works: First of all, you might like to decide which version of WeatherLand you’d like to download, the Free Version of the Pro Version, which gives you access to many more 3-hour forecasts in a week. Once you’re chosen which version you wanted then you’re ready to go about customizing your homescreen. As with any Live Wallpaper you need to set it through your launcher, which is down by long-pressing and then choosing Live Wallpapers:
Just choose WeatherLand – City and then you’ll get a preview, you can adjust settings here as well:
Depending on how powerful your device, you might want to change a few of the settings, to ensure a smooth experience that won’t take up too much of your battery:
You can also adjust the refresh rate of the wallpaper as well, which will adjust how much battery of your device is used, however the drain will be minimal compared to other apps. When you have adjusted all the settings – and checked that the location is correct – you can go ahead and apply it to your wallpaper:
As you’ll see, accurate weather information is displayed at the top of the wallpaper. This is a neat feature as it gets rid of the need to have a weather widget as well. If you were to change the time, you’ll see that the weather and the wallpaper changes with it:
That’s as easy as it is to get up to date weather with stunning visuals from WeatherLand. Thanks to the vehicles and people who pass by, it can really brighten up your homescreen and once you get used to it, you might not ever have to look up a forecast ever again. WeatherLand can also be used to set a custom location, which is nice if you’re going on holiday in the next couple days or you want to see how bad the weather is for your friends elsewhere!
Opinion: These sort of little apps and live wallpapers are great and in this case it really helps to show off the amount of customization that’s possible on Android. Fans of Live Wallpapers are going to love this, not only does it come with interesting graphics that change depending on the time and weather but, it keeps you up to date with the changing weather. With smartphones getting ever larger, wouldn’t it be a good idea to take advantage of these displays? With WeatherLand you can do, and do so in style!
- Speed (4/5) – Often, Live Wallpapers can be sluggish and slow your phone down but, here there are enough settings to scale depending on your model.
- Features (3/5) – Live Wallpapers aren’t for everyone and while WeatherLand offers something a lot more than the average Live Wallpaper, there might not be enough on offer for those not keen on them.
- Theme (5/5) – The fun-looking cartoon graphics of WeatherLand bring a nice burst of color to your homescreen and if you enjoy customizing your smartphone, you’re going to love this.
- Overall (4/5) – While Live Wallpapers aren’t for everyone, there’s no reason to not give WeatherLand a try, it’s a good wallpaper that will brighten up anyone’s homescreen.
- Easily finds your location, no matter where you are in the world.
- Accurate weather forecasts give you a lot of data to use.
- Colorful graphics will bring a splash of fun to your homescreen.
- Live weather updates have become more popular and it’s nice to see them used to good effect here.
- For those not keen on Live Wallpapers there might not be enough on offer to excite them.
- The wallpaper doesn’t seem to scale well to 720p devices.
Conclusion: There’s no denying that you either love or hate Live Wallpapers but, with something like WeatherLand you might be swayed to love them. There’s a sense of belonging with this wallpaper, as it reflects your weather and the time of day, it could be a lot more pleasing to you than a large weather widget. With 70,000 weather stations at their disposal, you should always be able to predict the weather accurately, instead of being left wondering. If you’re a fan of Live Wallpapers then this is definitely something to try out. If not, then why not give it a go?