We’ve said this before, and I don’t think we need to rehash this again. But are CDMA Nexus devices like the Sprint and Verizon Galaxy Nexus really Nexus devices? They still have to go through the “testing” phase with the carrier, which takes months, before they get pushed out to the devices. Android 4.2 hit the GSM Galaxy Nexus, and the Nexus 7 back in November, right before the Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 showed up on Google Play for a few minutes.
Black Friday 2017 Deals: Find Great Deals on Android Smartphones, TV’s, Smart Speakers, Chromebooks and More.
Anyways, this Android 4.2 update found on Google Servers by some XDA members and is ready for the picking and is openly available to anyone and everyone to download. Which means the OTA must be pretty close. And it’s right on time, 2 months after the unlocked Nexus devices got Android 4.2. Just like with Android 4.1, Sprint rolled it out 2 months later and Verizon rolled it out 3 months later. This update package is roughly 100MB in size. Just hit the download link at the end of this post and follow the directions below to flash the update, thanks to SXTP Developers for these instructions.
1)Please backup anything you have and make sure your bootloader is locked . You need too be Pure Stock on The FH05 Firmware. If you are not. Please do that now. Before you go any futher. If your pure stock lets go too Step 2.
2) If you have your Samsung Drivers installed. Lets go too Step 3. If you don’t have the drivers install on your PC. Please go too Samsung Support page and download them.
3) Now you will need too download this all in one zip file. It has the update.zip and adb sideload together. So click the download link
4) Once you have download the zip file. You need too extract it too the C: Drive.
5) Go too windows icon on the lower left side of your display and click on the windows icon. right below all programs. you should see search files and folders. In that box type cmd and press enter. and a window will popup C:\Users\Your Name > Now we need too get too the folder you extracted in step 4.
6) at the C:\Users\Your Name > Prompt type in cd\adb and press enter now you see this
C:\adb> Once you see that we are almost ready too install update.zip . So lets put the phone into recovery mode and too do that power off the phone completely. Once it is shut down we can boot into recovery mode holding both volume up/down buttons and power at the same time when you feel the phone vibrate you can release the buttons. now you see a screen with android lying down press the volume down button twice and you will see recovery mode. Once you see that press power button. and the phone will reboot into recovery mode but it shows android lying down with a red triangle . now we need too get pass him and so we need too press both volume button and power button at the same time it may take a few times. but it bypass him and you will have access too stock recovery which is blue. Once you done that take a moment and breathe and then will go too the next step.
7) Okay the hard stuff is done now. lets flash this update.zip and enjoy the new update.zip thanks too admin and sextape and the entire crew. you will see in the stock recovery there is some options too choose from and we need too choose apply update from adb . so take your volume rocker and highlight that options and when you done that press the power button.
8) now in your C:\adb> you need too type this command adb sideload update.zip press enter and once you do that you will be installing the update.zip so don’t unplug the usb cord or let your pc go too sleep. Once it says 100 percent sending it will start writing the update.zip into your phone takes about 5 mins too install the update. Once the update is installed the phone will need too reboot system now. which should be highlighted already . If not just use volume rocker and highlight reboot system now just press power and the phone will reboot .
9) now the phone will reboot and will add somethings and then it might reboot one more time and now you are on the Android 4.2.1 OS System for the Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus.
If you have any problems installing this update, let us know in the comments below. We’ll do our best to help you out. If you find this to daunting, you can always wait for the OTA. It should be coming in the next few days.
Any bets on how long before Verizon’s Galaxy Nexus gets the update?