Featured Game Review: Marv the Miner 3
Think back to your youth and the games you used to play back in the day, they were pretty platformers and fighting games. Genres that have stood the test of time and still remain very popular to this day. It seems a little strange that in 2012 the platformer is still a popular type of game to play but, if we’re to really ask ourselves – we still really love just jumping around on a screen. This sort of gameplay lends itself very well to a mobile platform like Android. With the Marv the Miner series, Digiment has been bringing us quality platformers for some time now. Read on to see if their latest offering is another hit.
Description: Marv the Miner 3 puts you in the shoes of Marv once again and this time around you’ve found the treasures within the Dark Mine of Kazarakt. Marv needs to get out of the mines but, the path back has been blocked up and it’s up to you to find him another path to get out through. You’ll have to do this by navigating through retro styled levels and fighting a number of different enemies. Take a look at the trailer below to see more:
How it Works: To get the game up and running on your device all you have to do is install the app from the Play Store and open it up.
After that you can go ahead and get stuck into playing the game. If you want to get a quick grasp of how to play the game then hit the question mark in the menu, of particular interest will be the control layout:
When playing through the game there are a number of different enemies and obstacles that you will need to avoid, some are easy to hop over but other require some thought about your timing.
As you progress through the levels you will come across different environs to explore and you’ll have to watch how much air you have left, limiting your time in which to complete the level.
It’s a good-looking game and if you don’t do things either quick enough or you don’t think things through enough then it might become more of a challenge than you think. It takes a while to get used to the way the game plays but, once you do, it’s a whole lot of fun.
Opinion: If you’re looking for something fun to play that takes you back to the days of Mario or Lode Runner than this is it. It’s got some great gameplay to it and the controls – while not perfect – are easy enough to follow and you won’t be pulling your hair out when it comes to getting around the game map. Even if you haven’t played the first two games in the series you’ll have a lot of fun helping Marv find his way out of the mines.
- Speed (4/5) – Everything loads well and it’s paced really well for a game in this genre.
- Features (4/5) – If you’re a fan of platform games then you’ll really enjoy Marv the Miner 3
- Theme (4/5) – There’s some good music and the retro stylings really give the game a unique look and feel.
- Overall (4/5) – This is a brilliant game if you’re perhaps tired of all these 3D free-to-play games with complicated controls and just want to play a game full of character.
- Good music makes the game come alive.
- Retro graphics give the game a real character and they’re certainly a breath of fresh air.
- Mixing elements from games like Lode Runner and Mario result in a brilliant game that will appeal to most player.
- Numerous obstacles and enemies to beware of will keep you on your toes throughout the game.
- For some, the controls could be confusing at first.
- Levels can be unnecessarily difficult at times.
Conclusion: Marv the Miner 3 is one of those games that appeals to pretty much everyone and for those that really enjoy a good platformer then you’re going to really like the game. There’s also the added bonus that if you like this game in the series then there are more for you to play through and a whole range of games from Digiment. For fans of all things retro and those looking for something different to play, Marv the Miner 3 is well worth looking into.