Lots of things happen at the XDA dev forums, lots and lots and lots of things, from rooting devices to getting themes to awesome roms. Well it has happened again. There is a possibility that someone has rooted the Sony X10! LordPhoenixSalvation over at XDA says he has it rooted, there are no pictures and there is no solid proof. He is taking a day off before anything gets show (claims to be giving his girlfriend some attention before finals, I understand that). He also claims that there will be an update tomorrow! So watch for tomorrow because we will be sure to have an update when XDA does.
Why is this cool?
What Does Root Give Me?
- Full control over your system
- Ability to alter system files. You can replace many parts of the “Android Core” with this including:
- Core apps (maps, calendar, clock etc)
- Recovery image
- Toolbox (linux binary that lets you execute simple linux commands like “ls”) can be replaced with Busybox (slightly better option)
- Boot images
- Add linux binaries
- Run special apps that need more control over the system
- SuperUser (lets you approve or deny the use of root access to any program)
- Task Manager For Root (Lets you kill apps that you otherwise could not kill)
- Tether apps (like the one found at [android-wifi-tether.googlecode.com])
- <there are more but I cannot think of any right now>
- Backup your system
- You can make a folder on your sdcard and backup all of your .apk files to your sdcard (helps if an author decides to “upgrade” you to a version that requires you to pay to use the version you just had)
- Relocate your (browser/maps/market) cache to your /sdcard
- Relocate your installed applications to your /sdcard
- Reboot your phone from the terminal app easily (su <enter> reboot <enter>)
So its a pretty big deal! Watch this space and check out XDA!